Saturday, March 17, 2012

My biggest fear right now is that I've bitten off more than I can chew. I've tried to rush through this first draft, following the light at the end of the tunnel without taking time to note the scenery. I'm leaving out a lot of descriptive language for now because that's fluff and while it can bring a story down if it's bad, it doesn't necessarily make a story great if it's good.

But now I've found that every time I sit down to write it turns into a session of half writing and half charting. The process is going as such:

I downloaded WriteRoom, which is amazing. It's the only way I can write for long periods of time without distraction. Simply the sight of that devlish Firefox logo is enough to send me on a ten minute time-wasting session on the Twitter circuit. More importantly it kills the momentum of the story. When I'm in the WriteRoom, it's just me and the story. Even if I'm not typing, the only thing I'm seeing is my story.

So I write everything in there, then copy it to a Word document that has all the chapters. But now I also have a document titled Notes and that has to be open at all times it seems. My 2-3 thousand word days take a little longer to accomplish thanks to that, but it feels like necessary progress. For the most part I want to be able to get to the end of the tunnel before I lose the light, but if I have to stop along the way to make sure I don't trip on something, well that's fine and dandy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment